EARLY HEARING DETECTION AND INTERVENTION VIRTUAL CONFERENCE
MARCH 2-5, 2021
(Virtually the same conference, without elevators, airplane tickets, or hotel room keys)
THE ANTONIA BRANCIA MAXON AWARD FOR EHDI EXCELLENCE
We are writing today to submit the nomination of Dr. Marcia Fort for the 2021 Antonia Brancia Maxon Award for EHDI Excellence. It is our great honor and privilege to do so. Dr. Fort is a valuable member of the EHDI family whose life work has positively impacted our EHDI system of care at the state, national and federal levels. Dr. Fort is the Unit Manager for the Genetics and Newborn Screening Program at the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services. Additionally, she serves as the EHDI Coordinator and Data Manager. Dr. Fort holds a Doctorate in Audiology and has spent her career dedicated to serving children and families.
- The following represents just a few of Dr Fort's many accomplishments:
- She redesigned the NC EHDI Program structure to allow for continuity of care management from the consultants (screening through enrollment into early intervention).
- Dr. Fort has strengthened the EHDI connection with the Schools for the Deaf, the Division of Services for Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DSDHH) and Deaf community. She has collaborated with DSDHH on a Common Ground Workgroup and has increased the EHDI program capacity for inclusion and diversity.
- Dr. Fort is a proponent of family participation and family support services in the EHDI Programs.
- She is a champion of continuous quality improvement. The North Carolina team is well trained in quality improvement strategies.
- Dr. Fort is an advocate of EHDI staff interacting with the community and building capacity of community partners.
- She leads at the National Level to support the EHDI system â€“
- President and Board Member - Directors of Speech and Hearing Programs in State Health and Welfare Agencies DSHPSHWA
- Member of the Parent Choice Committee
- Partners with HRSA, CDC, NCHAM and FL3- COVID-19 challenges and other key initiatives
- Mentor of new EHDI Coordinators.
- Dr. Fort expanded the North Carolina EHDI Advisory Committee by increasing parent participation and including Deaf and Hard of Hearing adults.
- She has developed collaborative relationship with the UNC-LEND Program.
We deeply appreciate Dr. Fort's passion and dedication to our field. There is no one more deserving of the prestigious EHDI Excellence Award than Dr. Marcia Fort.